The Guelph Police Service and Guelph Police Association in cooperation with Loyalist College are pleased to offer a one-week Current Trends and Issues in Professional Standards course. This course is designed for members of police services and police associations who are in supervisory roles, executive positions in associations, the investigation of complaints, and human resource management. The course is also ideal for in-service training personnel, those involved in risk management. Members of the Law Society may qualify for accreditation from the Law Society of Ontario (Upper Canada).
How You’ll Benefit:
This is an intensive five-day course, which includes an exam and a group exercise. Course instruction includes:
- Overview of PSA Legislation including Disciplinary Process and the Code of Conduct
- Current Trends in Disciplinary Appeals and Case Law Updates
- Ethical Leadership and Professionalism in Policing
- Cooperative Approaches to Discipline & Informal Resolution Process
- Overview of Civilian Oversight including the OIPRD and SIU
- PSB Investigations
- Workplace Challenges, Performance Management, and Risk Management
- Workplace Investigations
- PSA Prosecutions and PSA Hearing Preparation
- Updates on Bill 175 – Safer Ontario Act, 2018
Special Note: The Safer Ontario Act, 2018 has received Royal Assent. It is unknown at this time when the Schedules or sections within the Schedules will be proclaimed. The content of this course is subject to change to reflect any new proclaimed legislation under this Act.
Assessment Standards: Written exam, group work, and in-course assignment are part of the assessment process. Candidates must successfully complete the above assessment criteria. Assessment is based on a Pass (P) or Fail (F). Successful candidates receive a course certificate.
Candidate Eligibility: Police officers, human resource managers, lawyers and police association representatives involved in workplace discipline and performance management. This course is ideal for police supervisors and senior managers. Lawyers may apply for accreditation to the Law Society of Upper Canada for Professional Development Hours
Certification: A Certificate of Completion will be issued by Loyalist College.
Who is the facilitator?
Course Date: November 5-9, 2018. 8:00 – 4:30 p.m. (Please arrived 7:45 a.m. first day of course). Registrations accepted until October 26, 2018.
Course Location: TBA, Guelph ON.
Optional Hotel Registration: Fairfield Inn & Suites Marriott– 35 Crown Place, Guelph, Ontario N1G 0C1. Special Group Rate (under Loyalist Training & Knowledge Center): $119 plus tax per night and will include complimentary hot buffet breakfast each morning, parking and wifi access. Book room by October 15, 2018, for group rate and cancellations must be completed by October 29, 2018.
Registration Cost: Cost is $1000.00 (plus HST) for the course. Registration cost includes the following:
- Textbook: Ceyssens, P. & Childs, S. (2017), Ontario Police Services Act, fully annotated, Salt Spring Island, BC: Earlscourtall course materials
- Course Materials
- Coffee & snack breaks, and lunch
VALUE ADDED CONCESSIONS
- All guestrooms include a full hot buffet style breakfast
- Complimentary Wifi in Guestrooms and Public Areas
- Complimentary access to 24-hour business Centre
- Access to an Indoor swimming pool (with Waterslide) and Fitness Centre
- Complimentary parking.
Contact: Email Tiffeny Dyck email@example.com. or call 613-969-1913 Ext 2294 for questions.
Visit our link to register.